Sunday, January 31, 2010

Motion City Soundtrack's Fourth Album 'My Dinosaur Life'.

I admit, I've always been a fan of Motion City Soundtrack. Their quirky sound and attractive methods have had me listening for years now. My Dinosaur Life is their 4th album, and first album on a big label (Epitaph Records, you know, the punk label that houses Alkaline Trio). So. Moving on to the review:
http://www.melodic.net/img7/mcs.jpg
TOTAL RATING: 8/10.

My highest rating yet! The lead singer writes all his own music which helps to add points.

Songs To Notice

Track 1: Worker Bee - From the very first track, Justin Pierre hooks you almost immediately. If you are any fan of the band whatsoever you'll recognize the sound and turn up the volume. Fun with the guitar solo in the last thirty seconds as well.

Track 2: A Lifeless Ordinary (Need a Little Help) - Not many times I go from 1 to 2 without skipping, but the track follows up the last one decently well. It has Rivers Cuomo sound feel to the beat if you can get the reference.

Track 3: Her Words Destroyed My Planet - This is the single released first by the album. This is an early review so this is the only single known to date yet. You'll notice his voice is a little down to normal on this track and there are a few he does this one.
 
Track 6: History Lesson - This one is a quick song with an acoustic start to it (Starting with, "What are you asking me for, it's not my goddamn history.") Then quickly breaks into song from there, but has a good background to it if you listen and made my favorite list.

Track 7: Stand Too Close - Probably my favorite song on the album. It's a slower one with another little acoustic feel to it. They give their thoughts on love in a fast 3 minute run with thoughts such as "But then the magic fades into an awful hue of dismal views and a pessimistic attitude."

Songs That Suck

Track  9: @!#?@! - Yeah you read that right. It's just a bunch of symbols. It's supposed to represent the built-up punk kid 'teen angst' inside. And it's really my only complaint on the album. It was too 'Good Charlotte' for me, and I didn't like the feel.

Other Songs
Disappear, Delirium, Pulp Fiction, Hysteria, Skin and Bones, and The Weakends. (This one gets an honorable mention, it was a good closing song as the last on the album.)

No comments:

Post a Comment