Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Bonnaroo 2013! Rumor list, get yourself ready: Part I.




It's been awhile, and for that I'm sorry. But I've gotten a few rumors of some of the Bonnaroo 2013 lineup, and I'm going to try and review them as I've done before.

Let's jump right in.

*Passion Pit - If you're a music festival fan, then you've heard of these guys. But this Massachusetts-derived band sports an 'indie-tronica' style of funk along with a high-pitched lead singer who surprisingly rocks a great show. I'll be in attendance at this one.
The xx - English band with a slow indie sound that some might consider 'pop' but its a little more dramatic than that. I've never seen them live so I'm wondering how it will play out with a Bonnaroo crowd. Definitely a night show for slow acid trips and glowsticks.









*Twenty One Pilots - One of the most recent Fueled By Ramen ventures with a nod from MTV's Bands to Watch, these kids are when freestyling meets a voice of Ben Gibbard and a piano rock synthesizing straight from Jack's Mannequin. (Still with me?) I will be at this one as well.







Japandroids - Jumping out of Canada (but don't hold it against them, they'll outrock Nickelback any day of the week), they've blown up quickly with two albums out to date. Very garage band feel, if they aren't schedule conflicting anything favorite I may check them out. I've heard it's a decent show.







Jeff The Brotherhood - From my hometown here in Nashville, TN, this brother duo rocks the stage with, well, old fashioned rock. I just honestly wish I was more of a fan. They're hit or miss when it comes to the songs.






Atlas Genius - Australian band who are just now EP'ing waves on the charts. I practically love the only 3 songs I've heard by them. Definitely one to watch out for. They'll probably unleash more worked on music on stage.



Pretty Lights - Another one you've probably had personal enlightening experiences to, and if you haven't, I recommend getting sauced and accidentally walking into this show. Fun time guaranteed, hopefully you'll at least just enjoy all the 'Pretty Lights'.





Alt-J - As the name suggests, if you press Alt-J on a MAC OS, you'll get the real band name, which is actually the Delta symbol (∆). And I enjoy this sound, altogether a little hard to describe, it's a rock pop element of surprise.






Death Grips - This 'band' is a creation involving someone who sounds like the spawn of Satan free-styling over a set of generic beats and drum riffs. Considered 'extremely experimental rap', this is almost scary. But some people are into that kind of thing, and if that's you, enjoy yourself. I won't be there.







Young Empires - Electronic poppy indie dance music. Somewhat of an offbeat Killers, and for that, I may walk by and check them out. (also Canadian for those keeping score at home)







Father John Misty - Josh Tillman from Fleet Foxes has strayed to make this side band for his 'narrative voice' so he can really get in deep with his own personal story. This involved a lot of mushrooms and a lot more marijuana. Enjoy!



Cat Power - If there's such a thing as Punk Folk, this girl has it going on. Her looks aren't too bad either. Cat Power, AKA Chan Marshall, AKA Charlyn Marie Marshall is over 40, but kicking a great slow guitar sound and also a nice electronica for the masses. If you like the singer-songwriter types busting their ass to make it, holla at ya girl.











DIIV - Brooklyn's fan-proclaimed homage to 'The Cure', it's pronounced Dive and it rocks pretty hard. But with only 3 songs out and not much to choose from, it's hard to gauge what this band will do on stage. I'd say it'll be a decent rock show though.










THIS CONCLUDES PART I.
These are only RUMORS. I do not claim that these bands will be at Bonnaroo, but for our sake, let's hope some of them make it. See you again closer to Line-Up release.




No comments:

Post a Comment